18 February, 2022

DID I EVER MENTION WHEN I GOT A GOLD MEDAL FOR BATTING?

 

Preview from The Nottinghamshire Annual:

by Bill Taylor

Introduction (By David Beaumont)

Born in Manchester in January 1947, Bill spent his entire youth cricket playing with Manchester Schools Under-15s, Lancashire Schools Under-15s and then Lancashire Cricket Federation Under-19s. His performances brought him to the attention of Lancashire CCC who invited him to Easter coaching in 1964.  He had by this time become an apprentice Machine Manager in the printing trade. In the same year he was invited to play for Lancashire Seconds and his debut against Cumberland at Workington led Lancashire CCC to invite him onto the staff. He had to decline the offer as he was “an indentured apprentice” and was not able to leave his job, but he did organise holidays so he could play in selected matches for Lancashire Seconds. His apprenticeship also meant missing out on an England Under-19s match as his holiday allowance had gone. Between 1967 and 1970, he played for Leek CC at weekends in the North Staffordshire/South Cheshire League. This had coincided with Bill winning a newspaper competition organized by the ‘Sunday People’ known as the “Freddie Trueman – Find a Fast Bowler Scheme”.  His first wicket as a professional was Garry Sobers, (out for 10 runs) who was playing for Norton CC at the time.

Eventually the lure of full-time cricket was too much and with his printing apprenticeship completed he joined Notts in 1971 after taking seven wickets in the match for Notts Seconds against Leicestershire Seconds at the Boots Ground in August 1970.  He played pretty regularly for the First Eleven as an opening bowler, but whenever you meet Bill and talk cricket, you always seem to get round to him telling you about the time when he got his highest score batting for Notts.  In the 95 first-class matches Bill played he managed a total of 374 runs, averaged 6.44, with a top score of 26 not out. But this innings would turn out to be something different.

It happened in 1975 and it was in the Gillette Cup 60-over competition.  Notts were drawn at home in the first round against Sussex CCC who were captained by Tony Greig and included England pace man John Snow.  Now Bill would be the first to admit that his batting was not his strongest point, a genuine number eleven.  Notts batted first and did not offer much resistance to the Sussex bowlers and Bill entered the fray with Notts tottering at 117 runs with eight wickets down.  Peter Johnson had already retired hurt with a facial injury so Bill would seemingly be the last man standing. Bill takes up the story……

It was in the 1975 season. It all started off in April when during pre-season training at RAF Newton, I fractured a middle metatarsal which meant I had 12 weeks of rehab. Finally, by the second week of June I managed to play a couple of Club and Ground fixtures against the Fire Brigade and NatWest Bank and then on the 23rd and 24th June a second eleven game against Leicestershire at Forest Town. So, when the Gillette Cup tie against Sussex due to be played on 25th June came along skipper Mike Smedley asked if I could get through 12 overs. Of course, I said yes, so I was in for my first game of the season with the Seniors.

By lunch time it looked as if I would not be needed to bowl any overs at all as we were 103 for 7 with Peter Johnson at hospital getting patched up after chipping one into his nose.

 

So, play resumed after lunch with Phil Wilkinson and Barry Stead batting. Having moved the score onto 117 Barry Stead was dismissed for one, so as Johnno was not back from hospital, I was next in. As I was leaving the dressing room Smed said they had heard that Johnno was on the way back and I was to waste as much time as possible so he could go out again to resume his innings on 57.

 

I slowly made my way out to the middle and beckoned Wilko for a word. How many balls left of Greig’s over? One, Wilko replied. I told him that if I survived this one ball he needed to bat out a full over keeping me at the non-strikers end. I took guard, something I very rarely did as all the batsmen before me knew what they were doing so I usually used one of their guards.

 

As Greig ran in to bowl, I got an imaginary fly in my eye to waste a few more precious seconds. With this done I faced the final ball of the over with trepidation. I thrust forward defensively which I had seen my colleagues play many times, although not successfully in this innings. Anyway, it turned out to be a skilfully played inside edge which scurried to the boundary for four. End of the over.

 

Wilko then played a blinder, getting a single off the last ball of the next over. I looked up to the dressing room balcony for a signal that Johnno had returned. He had so I said to Wilko that Johnno was back and advised him to play his normal game; I will play mine and try to give it a whack. So I did. Everything came out of the sweet spot in the middle of my willow. How well I was seeing the ball amazed me. I saw everything except for one delivery from their left arm seamer Roger Marshall. Greig, who was standing at second slip, came down to Marshall and told him to try one just short of a length and he went to mid-wicket to catch the mishit. I craftily moved leg side and flayed rustically, the ball flew off the top edge and straight through where Greig had been standing at second slip, the ball beating third man to the boundary.

As I passed 50 the crowd went mad, Cec Pepper (the umpire) said, “Bill, I can see it, but I don’t f***ing believe it”. As I got to 63 with the score now on 197-9 with a couple of overs to go I got out missing a straight one from slow left-armer Chris Waller.  Wilko (31 not out) and I had added 80 for the ninth wicket. My innings lasted 31 balls and I hit three sixes and seven fours. I was going to have to bowl my 12 overs and I had to change my gear as I was ringing with sweat. In those days we only had 10 minutes between innings.

 

Anyway, we finished our 60 overs on 212 for nine and bowled Sussex out for 208 to win the game by 4 runs. I told my brother that I was awarded Man of the Match to which he asked me how many wickets I took. I told him two (for 53), but I got 63 runs to which he replied “who are you trying to kid?”

 


Also, a good mate of mine who was on holiday read the scorecard in the newspaper. Thinking it was a misprint; he then went out and bought another paper.

 

Notts CCC Vice Chairman John Heatley congratulated me and said I had just saved the club £5,000 as we would be in the next round and would not have to stage the match versus West Indies, so I said I suppose a bonus is out of the question. I received a one-word answer. YES!!!

 

Postscript (by David Beaumont)

A contemporary report stated that Bill had “took the matter into his own hands and stormed down the wicket’ swinging and carving in a manner more suited to a late order village green cricketer.  It nevertheless had devastating results”. 

It is interesting to note that in the match played 47 years ago Sussex, out of the 60 overs bowled, achieved 15 maidens and John Spencer, who bowled in tandem with John Snow, had the remarkable figures of 12 overs, 6 maidens, 9 runs, 2 wickets.

Bill, who had a contract with Notts until 1980, finished his Notts career at the end of the 1977 season to commence a business opportunity back in the printing industry. He described it as “an opportunity too good to pass up.” He is now a director of that same successful printing company, Wade Print and Paper Ltd. of Newthorpe, Notts.  Bill puts the success down to his loyal and hard working staff. His Company prints this Annual, which we all think is an excellent example of their printing skills.

Bill has always kept in touch with the Club and after being on the Notts Committee for several years, he was Club President in seasons 2018 and 2019.  He is now a Vice President and can be found in the committee room at most home matches. If you see him, ask him about the match v Sussex, but only if you have a half hour to spare!


9 comments:

  1. Thanks for that .
    A great story.
    Good honest County cricketer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just looked at the match scorecard from the Notts seasons, cricket archive. Mike Smedley batting 3 in a one day game, albeit it was 60 overs then. Gordon Greenidge opening the batting for Sussex and a certain A.P.W.(Tony) Greig in their middle order. Well done to Bill Taylor, but you can see why we were one of the countries worst one day sides in the 70s. Hard to believe, now, that we were also a poor t20 side in the first couple of years upon its inception in 2003 i think. All this changed upon the recruitment of Stephen Fleming and the brilliant David Hussey it is fair to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small point, but the Greenidge playing for Sussex in this game was Geoff (no relation to Gordon)!
      https://www.espncricinfo.com/player/geoff-greenidge-51902
      DJP

      Delete
    2. Thanks for clarifying that. That makes sense then as i can recall Gordon opening the batting for Hampshire i think it was. Also worth pointing out that although I raised the point of Mike Smedley batting 3, I’ve researched his first class stats and, to be fair to him he must have been a pretty good batsman in this format where occupation of the crease is also vitality important for a top order batter.

      Delete
  3. Good reliable steady batsman was our old warrior Mike Smedley . A two runs an over type of player .
    Question !
    What was Mikes nickname ?
    Answer " Flashing Blade!"
    Ideally suited to the three day/ four day game but the one day stuff was not really for him .
    Scoring at 4 runs an over ?
    Almost impossible for Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite being "one of the countries worst one day sides in the 70s", Notts beat a strong Kent side by 31 runs at TB in the next round before falling to a six wicket defeat against Derbyshire in the quarter finals. A large crowd gathered at TB for this contest where the visitors Indian off-spinner Srinivasaraghavan Venkataraghavan (Venkat) had figures of 12-6-13-1 starred. What memories do people have of these fixtures?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed it was a strong Kent side so a superb victory for Notts in that game. Despite Venkat’s miserly spell, i note Mike Hendrick also claimed 4 wickets for not too many. Mike had that lovely ‘high’ bowling action, but, his critics have said he bowled just the slightly wrong length which meant the batsman wasn’t good enough to get the bat on the ball but it would often beat the edge and go through to the keeper. I’ve got memories of him, like Richard Hadlee, literally being unplayable at times. I think i recall David Lloyd saying that the Gillette Cup originally was a 65 over contest ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Memories of these old fixtures!?
    The beer being so cheap at Notts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Notts don’t make much profit on alcohol sales remember Lisa told us all. It’s just pure coincidence they charge a fiver a pint these days

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts...